- To evaluate the Bureau of Prisons’ (BOP) response to findings and recommendations from the Department of Justice (DOJ) Office of Inspector General (IG).
- To examine how BOP intends to hold its leaders accountable for wrongdoing, and uphold the ideals of professionalism, safety, and integrity within the federal prison system.
- On September 18, 2018, the DOJ IG released a report recommending BOP improve policies and programs to better accommodate gender-specific needs. The IG offered ten recommendations for BOP to improve management of its female population, and BOP concurred with all ten recommendations.
- On December 13, 2017, the Committee held a hearing to examine areas of improvement at BOP, enhanced reentry policies, and cost effectiveness measures.
- Since the hearing, the Committee received allegations from BOP employees detailing a toxic culture where managers tolerate and engage in misconduct, mismanagement, and whistleblower intimidation.
Witnesses and testimonies
|The Honorable Michael E. Horowitz||Inspector General||Office of the Inspector General, Department of Justice||Document|
|Mr. Hugh J. Hurwitz||Acting Director||Federal Bureau of Prisons, Department of Justice||Document|